Start a new topic

Amazon SES complaint handling

If a recipient does not unsubscribe and files a complaint instead,

Amazon SES sends a notification.

As an intermediate measure it should be treated as hard bounce.

As a new feature idea:

Perhaps an option would nice to be able to add theses guys to the suppression list.

In order to meet Amazon's standards it's important to unsubscribe these recipients.

Otherwise Amazon may terminate your SES account.

4 people like this idea

We already have plans to add this and release during May.

1 person likes this

If you have an example of an Amazon complaint email, please email it to office@arpreach.com to pass to the developers. We want to make sure it works with as wide a range of these as possible.

Good news!

The email is sent.

Got it. I see we can use the Amazon SES simulator for this which makes it easier.

Thanks again.

As a test, I've been using Amazon SES and also my own IP address with Sendmail.

I have to say that Amazon SES is just OK. The deliverability on my own IP address is actually much better.

When you look at the sender score, it's clear why:
Amazon SES (sampled IP address): 88 - 92
My IP address: 99

I looked at the Amazon SES sender scores over a couple of days and noticed the range was good... but my IP address has remained steady at 99 for quite some time now.

Bottom line is... if you manage your IP and reputation (including of course FBLs), you can do much better with your own IP and sendmail than you can by "tossing your lot" in with Amazon SES.

Interesting... maybe I won't use ses then.

Tim, I see your site uses a dedicated server at Peer 1. How has your experience with them been running arpreach?

We already have plans to add this and release during May.

David,

When can I finally stop sorting these complaints manually?
This is really annoying work.
And May is almost over :-)

Thanks

Tom

David,
Another May has passed and there is not even an answer.
Or am I missing something and it is fixed already?

Thanks

Tom

Under Email systems > Amazon SES > edit > options > advanced you can enter 'send failure strings' to trigger a removal from all lists and/or adding to suppression list. The question is what to put in the 'send failure strings' box. Does anyone know?

@Steve - I just saw your question. Peer1 is awesome! I highly recommend them.

Hi,

A few things about this...  Is this implemented and working, Hilary Barret says:
--

Under Email systems > Amazon SES > edit > options > advanced you can enter 'send failure strings' to trigger a removal from all lists and/or adding to suppression list. The question is what to put in the 'send failure strings' box. Does anyone know?

--

What do we put in here - Tim Bratton what did you put in here when using Amazon SES?

Also, Tim Bratton says:
-----

When you look at the sender score, it's clear why:
Amazon SES (sampled IP address): 88 - 92
My IP address: 99

--

That's exciting news Tim, I've been running  my own mail server for years and my sender score is also quite high, I spent quite a lot last month on Amazon SES, so it seems maybe I can see if plain old Sendmail would do better deliverability - but can you tell me, do you really get better deliverability and speed with Sendmail vs. SMTP?  I've always been told that SMTP should be used for assuring proper delivery, etc?

Also Tim Bratton - I noticed before you mention handling your own FBLs manually, are you still doing that manually?  I don't see it's possible for me, and quite a time-consuming task.  Or, do you have some automated FBL PHP code that you are using that works for you - for all the providers?  Without an API, I assume you would just make calls to the arpReach command line to remove the subscriber?

Tim do you have FBL code for: GMail, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, LiveMail and any of the others I may have forgotten?

Thank you,

-Brett

In december arpreach support wrote:

an FBL feature is not yet available and we cannot guarantee if it will be available on the next minor update

Strange as 6 months ago Neil promised that "for next week".

However - should someone know how to set up a fbl with SES, please share your knowledge.

Thank you very much.
Tom

David Alexander,

Just a quick reminder:

18 Months ago you wrote:

"We already have plans to add this and release during May."

I even provided you with the samples you requested.

A couple of other features were announced as "coming soon".

For October 2013 you guys announced:
arpReach 1.3.001 with API is coming soon

as well as Multi-Threaded Sending.

Why don't you publish these updates?
There wasn't anything since more than a year.

Why have you stopped working on the promised ARPREACH stuff?

Yes... it would be nice to know if Arpreach is still under development at all before moving more lists there from Aweber. Major things like this, and proper link tracking (like in Aweber); minor things like a menu of personalisation tags to insert in the message editor, which I expect would take you about 30 minutes to add.

Anything planned at all?

Login or Signup to post a comment