Start a new topic

Valid HTML

why don't you allow valid html? arpreach doesn't even include an opening html and body tag.

when adding your own, it removes them.

this is important for deliverability and rendering across all devices.

before anybunny questions the deliverability aspect, realize i'm good friends with the heads of deliverability for some of the top esps in the world among other things. just so you know.

not the end of the world on that front but still good to have. rendering is huge.

please provide valid html, access, or give us the ability to add our own.

2 people like this idea

We used php-superwebmailer for many years and did not suffer from tinymce behavior. CKeditor leaves all the HTML code like it is.

So this is a feature request to add ckeditor to arpReach and give users a choice to opt for one or the other in the system settings.

h.m.

hey debra. unfortunately, that's the way it is with arpreach. I would have probably referred 25+ people to arpreach if it had a better wysiwyg editor. If they can't get their integration of

TinyMCE to stop destroying valid html code, I wish they would just put in something else entirely or give the option to a better one. If the editor destroys valid html, it is clearly not the best nor nearly the best.

jas

Been working an email designer today and we've discovered the only way to keep an email responsive is to paste the entire finished code into the empty editor box from an external editor. 

Changing even one tiny thing inside the editor causes the code to change, changing hyperlink colours, responsiveness, etc. 

MailChimp doesn't do this. My designer hypothesises it's because the editor is older than the latest html capability. Is there any plan to upgrade the editor at any point? If MailChimp can offer it, clearly the technology is available. 

Hi Debra,

I posted earlier in this thread and have been away working on another project. I'm going to be starting back now on working through the same issues you have. But yes, it's the editor that is changing your code. The editor is TinyMCE and it has its own built-in rules to try the make the code "valid." I'm not here to debate that, but if you simply paste in your code and do not use the TinyMCE editor, your code should not be changed. I've done several tests with a responsive design and was having good luck. I, too, have had my developers look at the editor. We've used TinyMCE in some other places on our site. I'll report back here if we find the solution.

Re-reading this thread... 

if I do not use the visual editor, but merely paste in my code then hit "preview" do you think I'll get what I expect? 

Is it the visual editor that's messing up the rendering?

I've noticed some weird stuff happening and things moving around, fonts changing and whatnot, if I simply click while the visual editor is open. 

...? Thx!

Not sure if this is the right place but seems maybe related... 

I am trying (VERY hard) to create a responsive email template. Clearly, mobile is the future and it's a must-have as far as I'm concerned. 

I have had two developers now coding responsive templates for me that look fine elsewhere but that consistently fail to render as expected when pasted into and sent from arpR. I am tearing my hair out. These guys are not fools by any means, but so far it's been a painful (& expensive) trial and error experience and we're no closer to the end goal. 

I am no technical expert. Is there something here I should be telling my developers to look out for or build in or work around? And can anyone recommend any really great template designers who know how to do it already? 

Much appreciated!

Jay - that would be great information. I remember from years ago you could switch off the hideous "autocorrect" but it seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried a new version of TinyMCE in arpReach as we haven't tried it yet. I do know we could not switch off the "autocorrect" even with the newest version. And yes, it's all to do with the way these Javascripts editors interact with the browser's HTML engine.

I wanted to join this conversation because I have the same need. I'm trying to implement a responsive design and TinyMCE is breaking the code. I appreciate the fact that a separate area is provided that allows us to enter our own HTML, but going that path means that I have to have an employee who has the technical ability to use something like Dreamweaver. I simply want to provide the code in a template and have them add the text and image content.

I'm not a developer, but I work with a group that have integrated TinyMCE for me in vBulletin and we had a similar issue with TinyMCE changing the code. I know that there are ways to tell TinyMCE to not "clean" the code, but I don't recall if that's the only fix. As noted earlier, the browser being used plays a role in all of this too. So, I'm going to task my developers with looking into this and if I can determine the fix, I'll gladly share.

Question for David: If we decide we'd like to upgrade to the latest version of TinyMCE, will arpReach continue to work or is there something else we'd need to tweak?

Side note: So far, I'm loving arpReach. I've been using IEM for years and I find arpr to have features more to my needs. I just need to get an HTML editor that work for my needs. IEM also uses TinyMCE and had the same issue.

That's great.

A lot of TinyMCE users will welcome this knowledge because no-one seems to know what it is.

Regards

David

i'll ask my programmer to dig for more details. there is obviously a solution if this other system is using TinyCME (a newer version) and it works properly.

Hi Ralf

Yes, that option was available a few years back. I remember it. But none of the quality HTML editors seem to offer it any more and we have researched this exhaustively.

Regards

David

I did some research on TinyMCE a few years back. If I remeber correctly you can exactly specify how it should or should not modify HTML via TinyMCE settings.

Implementing it without specifying settings will do all kinds of modifications to code. Adding the correct settings will keep it from modifying code.

You should find the necessary information in the TinyMCE documentation on their web site.

Hi Jason

Another thought...

...if your programmer can supply the TinyMCE Javascript code (including the all-important TinyMCE configuration parameters) from the web page where TinyMCE is implemented without the annoying "validating" we will be happy to test it out.

It can be emailed as an attached to office AT arpreach.com if that is easier.

Regards

David

Hello Jason

Tests with the latest TinyMCE (version 4) show no difference in the way this editor rewrites HTML.

We continue our search for a quality editor that maintains the code intact without "validating" (as they call it).

Regards

David

my programmer confirmed that your bundling of TinyCME does in fact strip out valid html.

they said that it doesn't on another platform they use most likely because you're using an older version of TinyCME.

"yup, arpreach is using 3.4.7 and the other mailing software I use (thats working) is using 3.9.2"

Can you please upgrade TinyCME?

thanks
jason

Login or Signup to post a comment